Iron Bridge of Ribas de Sil
The bridge is one of the most emblematic structures in San Clodio and one of the symbols of the municipality of Ribas de Sil.
It was finished in 1883, after 19 months of work by 53 workers, following the plans of engineer Pelayo Mancebo. It revolutionised communications between Quiroga and San Clodio.
126 metres long and 6.4 metres wide, it has two strong stone pillars that support the two 18 and 78 metre metal decks. The left pillar was built on the rocks of the shore but for the right one, it was necessary to work 10 metres below the river bed, for which a very novel technique was used for the time: a caisson. The use of Eiffel's invention led people to believe that he had drawn up the plans for the bridge.
Puente de Hierro de Ribas de Sil
Information and contact
Rúa da Liberdade - San Clodio
Ribas de Sil