Monument Collection of San Vicente del Pino

Historic ensemble

In this monument collection of San Vicente do Pino we find nowadays three emblematic monuments of the city: the keep, the old monastery of San Vicente del Pino and the Condal Palace, which make up a monumental and defensive collection reconstructed almost entirely in the 15th century.

The first news that we have of the land Terra de Lemos are by Pliny, a Roman geographer who referred to the people of the Lemavos as inhabitants of the "Castro Dactonium". The Lemavos term means "fertile, moist soil". Some authors place the "Castro Dactonium" on the hill of San Vicente, but it could never be excavated, since in the 10th century Benedictine monks arrive to Monforte and began to build the monastery of San Vicente del Pino. It took this name from a hermitage dedicated to San Vicente in this place, where there was a pine tree.

As all the defensive complex, it was surrounded by a wall and had several towers to defend against the enemy. Currently five of those towers are kept: that of Santo Domingo, that of the small castle, the monks, the arches and old jail.

It also keeps two doors: the one of the Alcazaba (from the 13th century), also known as the butcher or fishmonger for being in the old square Plaza do Azogue and Nova (rebuilt in the 15th century after being destroyed the original during the Revuelta Irmandiña). This keeps the coats of arms of the counts of Lemos.

The Keep, possibly a work by Diego Pontones, is 30 meters high. It keeps the tank, which was the container of the rain water for the use of the tower. Inside you can see an exhibition and from the top, beautiful views of the valley of Lemos. In the premises of the tower remains part of the wall with its round walk.

The monastery of San Vicente is regarded as the first monastery raised after the Arabic invasion in Galicia, although it has not documented until the 10th century. The facade is neo-classical. The Royal shield and the stone image of St. Benedict crown the facade. The cloister, also neoclassical, was completed in 1784 and stands out for its sloping floor providing rain water from entering the tank. Now, the premises houses the Parador of Tourism (state-run hotel).

Attached to the monastery is the church, with a Renaissance facade. The church is Gothic. It highlights the main altar, attributed to the master "Mil Bienes".  In the left chapel of the apse is the excessively ornate altar of the Virgin of Montserrat, patron saint of Monforte. There are other interesting pieces like the altarpiece of Santa Ana from the 15th century or the grave of the Abbot Mr Diego Garcia dated from 1334.

The palace of Counts of Lemos is a building from the 17th century. It suffered a major fire in the year 1672, which lasted 15 days and devastated part of the building and important documents of the Castro file. The access door is made of marble from El Incio and over it we can see the coats of arms of the Lemos: six roundels of the Castro, Castle and lion rampant of the Enríquez, and wolves of the Osorio. Today, it houses the meeting room for conventions of the Parador of Tourism.

The hill of San Vicente is located in the town centre of Monforte de Lemos. To get to this place the best is to follow the signs that lead us to the Parador as soon as you enter the city.

Don't miss!

En Monforte de Lemos puedes visitar otros monumentos emblemáticos como el Colegio de los Escolapios, también conocido como "El Escorial Gallego".

Conjunto Monumental de San Vicente do Pino

Information and contact


Barrio de San Vicente

Monforte de Lemos

27400 Lugo

Equipment and Services

Free of charge
Directions Directions